The best obtainable information indicates that Artisan Lodge was Warranted March 8, 1823; however, the passage of time has seen the loss of valuable early records belonging to the Lodge. As with other lodges of that period, Artisan Lodge passed through many trying experiences, so that it was intermittently dormant. Complete and exact records of the Lodge date only from March 1855. Throughout the struggles to maintain the existence of the Lodge, the most outstanding figure was that of Welcome U. Chase, who was it's first Master in 1823, and probably so in 1833 and 1841, and finally again in 1855.
Several extracts from the proceedings of the Grand Lodge, (which follow), show the determination of the fathers of Artisan Lodge to keep alive the spirit of Masonry in Amsterdam:
June 7, 1822-- M\W\ Daniel D. Thompkins, Grand Master. Grand Secretary's report of communications received since last quarterly communication of Grand Lodge.-- "A memorial from Florida Lodge No. 255, praying for leave to change the place of its meetings from the town of Florida to the village of Amsterdam, and to change the name of the Lodge to Golden Rule Lodge No. 255." At the same time, on the recommendation of Broadalbin's Montgomery Lodge No. 42 and Franklin Lodge No. 75 in the town of Glen, a warrant was read requesting that a new lodge be created in Amsterdam to be known as Mechanic Lodge. The warrant request was written by Welcome U. Chase.
June 13, 1823-- Grand Secretary reported that a new warrant had been issued to Welcome U. Chase on March 8, 1828, for the formation of Artisan Lodge No. 358 in Amsterdam. The new lodge was still in existence when the Morgan trouble began, and, in all probability, this affair caused it's demise in 1830. In June of 1832, the Grand Secretary demanded the surrender of Artisan's Warrant. It remains a mystery whether the lodge refused or neglected to surrender their Warrant, because it wasn't until September 7, 1836 that the Warrant was actually surrendered and filed. Subsequently, in June of 1841, the Committee on Warrants recommended the restoration of Artisan's Warrant and that the Lodge be given the number 84. The restoration of the warrant was short-lived, however, as the lodge soon ceased to work. The old original Warrant hasn't been located since 1841.
The first recorded action toward organizing the present Artisan Lodge was in January of 1855, when it's reorganization was proposed, again with W\Welcome U. Chase as Master. A petition asking for a Warrant was drawn up on February 10, 1855, and was recommended and endorsed on March 1, 1855 by St. Patrick's Lodge No. 4. The again-warranted Lodge became Artisan Lodge No. 366, since another new lodge had been given the number 84. However, in 1858 the old number again became available, and was restored to the present Artisan Lodge.
In 1855 Artisan Lodge met in what was then known as Reid's Hall, where it remained until 1880. At that time it moved to rooms on Chuctanunda Street. Shortly thereafter it moved to rooms on East Main Street, where it remained until October 21, 1921, at which time it moved to the newly- and extensively-remodeled former Sugden Building at 16-18 Market St; in essence, a new Masonic Temple. Forty-nine years later, in 1970, the Temple had to be given up to urban renewal projects. After many months in temporary meeting rooms offered by Knights of Columbus Council 209, the Lodge moved to its present location where it now resides in the Masonic temple at the corner of 34 Division Street and Market Street, sharing the Temple with Welcome Lodge.
For additional information regarding Artisan Lodge No. 84, please contact:
Amsterdam Lodge No. 84
34 Division Street
Amsterdam, NY 12010